Dressing Up with Online Help

dressing appropriately

One of the things that I learned from my parents is that I need to dress properly and appropriately. Dressing appropriately is a sign of respect not just to the event’s host but also to other people.

I enjoy dressing up and shopping for clothes. Whenever I shop, I prefer looking around and checking different styles first before choosing the dress to buy. However, since I have an 8am to 7pm office job, I don’t have the luxury of time to do window shopping for as long as I want.

I am glad that we are now living in a world where we have computers, mobile phones and internet! I’m grateful that I can choose the appropriate dress through my phone. Let me take you to a journey on how I usually choose my attire for an event.

KNOW THE PRESCRIBED ATTIRE IN THE EVENT

Always check the prescribed attire which is usually indicated in the invitation. If it is not indicated, I always a-s-k… ASK!. I would rather spend few minutes of my time calling the organizers to ask on the prescribed attire than going to an event not knowing if I will be overdressed or under dressed. If in doubt on the attire that I need to wear based on the prescription, I usually research or read about it. An online article on ‘attire guide’ from brightside,me is helpful.

Attire

DECIDE ON THE PEGS THAT YOU WANT

I find it difficult to go shopping without any idea what to buy. Whenever I do the ‘last-minute shopping on a whim’, I would end up picking an overpriced dress or a dress that does not fit me well. Hence, I create a Pinterest board where I put my attire pegs for certain events. I usually update it during my free time  (whenever I am on my way to the office, lunch breaks, etc.)

Check out some of my attire pegs board:

Pastel Attire White Attire

Often times, I also consider the shoes, bags, and accessories that I already have so I don’t have to spend more on those items.

Whenever I am ready to shop in the mall or online, I would just take a look at my Pinterest board for the event then I can easily find the attire that I want!

COMPARE PRICES

I want to get the most out of my hard-earned money (who doesn’t want that?)

Since ‘cocktail attire’ is required on most of the events that I attend these days, it is very important for me to compare prices. Aside from wanting good-looking dresses, I also want to wear good quality attire.

I’m happy that there are now Philippine-based online stores unlike before when I have to order abroad and wait for at least a month before it will be deliver. Now, I could easily browse through their sites, check on the attire that I want and compare prices. I could even check on the selection of dresses according to my budget, I’m glad to know that ZALORA has a selection of party-ready cocktail dresses that I totally love! Now, whenever I could not spare a time to shop in the mall, I could shop for an attire online.

BUY SMARTLY

Whenever I am already happy with the style of the dress, I usually take few moments before swiping my card. Why? There might be discounts or vouchers that I could use. Hahaha! Whenever I shop in the mall, I usually use my Loyalty card. Whenever I shop online, I try to use discount coupons or my loyalty points. I also make sure that there is a return policy if ever the size is not right or if the item that was delivered to me was not the same as what was described in the website.

ENJOY

Of course, I don’t forget to enjoy the process of selecting the right attire and dressing up!

How about you? How do you prepare for special occasions/events?

How do you select your attire?

13 Comments on Dressing Up with Online Help

1. Lia Del Castillo
    February 16, 2016 at 6:46 am (2 years ago)

Love your guide, Audrey! Wish I can still follow these today hahaha! My wardrobe closet has been overtaken by mostly nursing tops and dresses. I’ve also settled for leggings and jeans as quick fixes for my daily work/ casual look. You gave me an idea for a blog post!

• cheerfuljourney
      February 17, 2016 at 2:57 am (2 years ago)

Lia! 🙂 I understand… Pero I can also see how stylish you are! By the way, I love how you organized your daughter’s party! Galing! Pag gagawa ka na ng events organizing firm, mag sideline ako sa iyo. 🙂 Thank you Lia for being an inspiration!

2. Toni
    February 16, 2016 at 6:52 am (2 years ago)

Eek! Me naman I am not so fond of shopping for clothes. Thanks for the tips you shared. I’d really rather someone else do the shopping for me. If I were super rich, I’d hire a stylist and personal shopper. Haha!

• cheerfuljourney
      February 17, 2016 at 2:58 am (2 years ago)

Hahaha! Ako I prefer to shop for clothes na walang pressure. However, pag may theme na or required attire na, naku, *pressure*! Ang hirap maghanap! Hahaha!

3. Sha
    February 16, 2016 at 11:59 am (2 years ago)

I love the pinterest board idea. I have an account but it just currently sits in my phone. 😀

A question though, I’m hesitant on buying online due to size issues. Paano mo naaassess if it will really fit?

• cheerfuljourney
      February 17, 2016 at 3:06 am (2 years ago)

Hello Sha! Thank you! Regarding your question, I have a tape measure at home. Pag pants ang bibilhin ko, I measure my waist, hips and the length of my legs. Tapos may guide dun sa site (with equivalent size kung small, medium, large, etc.) I usually order from sites na may return policy. Like sa Zalora, pag dumating yung delivery, you can fit the clothes in 15 minutes while the delivery guy waits for you. Pag di kasya, pwedeng ipasauli na agad. If you need more time naman, you have 15-30 days yata to return the item then they will replace it.

• Sha
        February 21, 2016 at 1:23 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks! Really helpful 🙂

4. Patty | MrsC
    February 17, 2016 at 12:49 am (2 years ago)

Hey, Audrey! Your outfit pegs are so nice. Me naman, I’ve been wanting to completely overhaul my closet, and I’m super fascinated with the whole capsule wardrobe idea. It’s frustrating lang coz it’s so hard to find nice plus size clothes here. Nako, if I had my way, lahat ng clothes ko custom made hehehe!

• cheerfuljourney
      February 17, 2016 at 3:00 am (2 years ago)

Thank you Patty! 🙂 Would love to see how you organize your wardrobe! 🙂 Wow! Stylist and custom made clothes *pangarap ko lang sa ngayon* hahaha!

5. Pia
    February 17, 2016 at 2:42 am (2 years ago)

I bookmarked this page. Super useful! I especially love the info graphic on dress codes! I’ve been going to a lot of weddings lately. I think I’m going to take a page from your book and try to organize my Pinterest board. Right now it’s a hod podge of things. ????????????

• cheerfuljourney
      February 17, 2016 at 3:09 am (2 years ago)

Hello Pia! Wow! Thank you! I came up with this article because of weddings din! Choosing the right dress is quite tricky when there is a dress code – black tie, after 5, etc.

What is your Pinterest handle? Would love to follow you… 🙂

6. Glaiza Villanueva-De Leon
    February 23, 2016 at 8:29 pm (1 year ago)

Deciding what to wear and buying specific items for special events are kinda stressful for me hahaha so it actually helps to have a guide or some pegs. And another reason to love pinterest has been added to my list. I haven’t tried shopping clothes online but I can see now that it’s very convenient: you can compare prices easily, it’s delivered to your doorstep, and it’s perfect for busy working girls like us. So maybe I’ll give it a try. 🙂

• cheerfuljourney
      February 25, 2016 at 2:57 pm (1 year ago)

Hello! Thank you for your comment. I also find it quite stressful to shop whenever there is a specific requirement for the attire. Last minute shopping is really stressful for me. I usually end up buying just for the sake of having something to wear – later on, I’ll regret it. Hahaha!